Friday, March 02, 2007

Attitude


'Our attitudes control our lives. Attitudes are a secret power working twenty-four hours a day, for good or bad. It is of paramount importance that we know how to harness and control this great force.'
Attitude is indeed a great force; it can either make or build a person's life. I have seen talented people remaining in the same position for years due to their negative attitude. Situations and circumstances in our life play a very important role in shaping our attitude. Our attitude might also vary according to the situation we face in our day- to -day life. I have in particular admired a very close friend of mine who seemed to have this never changing attitude, and much to her delight she has been complimented by most of us on this. In the two years that I have been with her in school I have always seen her coming down for the assembly every morning with a smile irrespective of the situation around us. The rest of us showed emotions varying from joy, anger, loneliness, etc but she always managed to lighten up the atmosphere with her disarming smile, and to this day I always manage to draw inspiration from that wonderful trait of hers. It is often quoted that 'smile a lot cause it costs you nothing.' It is very true indeed, a smile, mind you only one sweet smile can neutralize any tense situation and the other two things one can utilise are the powers of convincing the other person and diplomatism. I was once told rather advised by a confidante that your mouth is the best weapon you can use to either construct or completely destroy your life. I have utilized this power to quite a good extent for my good sometimes unknowingly even causing harm but ultimately turning around the situation by making good use of this power. When you are confident and honest in your proclamations it hardly takes few minutes to convince the other person. We can see the use of this weapon everywhere around be it our friends, acquaintances or politicians. Your attitude and your verbal skills determine your personality. I have known a particular person who both attitude and verbal skills but has always managed to utilize both with brute force which does not go down well with everyone around you. In college its cool to sport a nonchalant attitude but right now where my peers and I stand we have to let go of this attitude to survive in the cut-throat competition existing in the corporate world. I often wonder what people with a negative attitude are going to do: stay in the entrant position or change according to the requirements and move up the corporate ladder? That I guess only time will tell, but right now my logical thinking guides me to a more affable attitude which is not at all nonchalant.

No comments: