Thursday, July 12, 2007

Soporific Effect

I always thought that I was an insomniac but not after I joined college and was put to sleep nearly every hour which should have been my waking hours, by the continuous monotonous drone of subjects forced to enter my head. The joy of getting back to college and the daily grind of activities was ephemeral. The totality of the soporific effect is fathomable only when one is reprimanded for dozing off during two consecutive classes. Since the wheel of fortune decided to turn in my favor I was bestowed with short sightedness and subsequently with spectacles and thankfully since then to be caught napping in class hasn’t been a cause of concern for me. I had often wondered what was it that caused nearly every student to fall asleep in class, was it due to the monotony of the subjects chosen and subsequently endured or the vagueness and impracticality of certain topics or basically in the monotonous drone in which the subjects are taught. The actual reason eluded me till my attention was specifically drawn to this effect and I ended up giving it deeper thought. It is not just one reason casing the atmosphere of drowsiness, but a combination of all the three mentioned; the result of which is clearly visible on the faces of the students. The degree of drowsiness caused and the contorted faces, which imbibe expressions in an effort to keep an expression of attentiveness and while failing to do so, surrender themselves to the urge of falling asleep are the source of amusement in a dry class.
Through my own drowsy observations I have noticed various forms of sleeping. It was only in the classroom did I get to see the usually dormant animal instinct in humans play a dominant role for survival. I prefer calling our mere existence in the classroom as an act of survival because not only are we put to sleep when are expected to be attentive but we also have to save ourselves from the caustic remarks and rebukes for blissfully dozing off.
Since only the fittest and smartest can survive in the animal kingdom which is applicable even in the human society, many students have resorted to innovative ways of sleeping, the one way which amuses me the most is when some manage to shut off their brain with their eyes wide open; giving an impression that they are the most attentive of the lot but in reality their brain is in the sleep mode. The glassy wide eyed look often mistakenly perceived as an expression of attentiveness is nothing but a clever way of making the animal instincts dominant and sleeping with the eyes wide open.
The time tested excuses of stomach pain or an headache also haven’t lost their charm on students. There are times when the acting prowess of most students is at its all time high and auditions can be conducted in classrooms. Apart from everything said and done nothing in college can match the pleasure of catching a siesta during classes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you ever tried sleeping in the middle of your final exam ... i can't complete one without napping in the middle :P