Friday, January 08, 2010

Strangers

Auto drivers are a cursed lot in Hyderabad for a variety of reasons ranging from their rude behaviour to tampered meters and their unreasonable demands. But 2 days back I came across an auto driver who willingly admitted that his meter wasn't working properly and this action of his left me completely dumbfounded for a few moments. For someone like me who has gotten used to arguing with these guys and consider it as natural as breathing, it was a rude awakening. I still chide myself for not being in the right presence of mind to appreciate him enough. A part of me also wants to thank him for the dignified manner in which he chose to behave because it made a tiny,wee bit of me believe in humanity once again.
They say there are two sides to every coin and I believe that the good side shows itself less than one would have liked. Hence though there are people who have managed to chip the wall of cynicism that I have built around myself, there are countless others who re-enforce it with double the brick and mortar that was chipped away.

2 comments:

Arnab Roy said...

Why don't u write anymore? Honestly speaking, this is the best blog I have ever come across, for never have I seen the thoughts flow out as smoothly and freely from anyone other than you..Waiting for next post eagerly...

Subhra Das said...

Thanks for the comment and compliments Arnab. I haven't stopped writing, I just don't want the words to come out disjointed as the emotions and reactions to things I want to write about. I have a few posts on the offing, hoping to refine them soon enough and put it up.