
Its been more than 6 years since I moved out of that place and strangely after all these years Im quite excited about my trip to Calcutta(who calls it Kolkata anyway) next week. I find it even weirder because the very noise and clutter of the city is drawing me to itself now, even though I had despised it when I stayed there and amazingly managed to call it home for nearly 5 years inspite of being name-tagged as 'Probashi'. Now, as I look back into the time I spent there I recollect feeling absolutely surprised at the zest people had for life(read food) back then and I wonder if it is still the same. I could almost vouch that Calcutta had the maximum number of eateries among the metros, for you would find atleast one eating joint tucked away in an obscure corner of an equally obscure alley or by-lane and surprisingly doing roaring business.
That city can be quite a treat for someone who is foodie like me. Calcuttans have a penchant for coming up with their own version of world-wide cuisines and weird names for their dishes.Lunch-times at Camac street were always a riot with the Calcutta Chinese fried-rice(which I can assure you wont find anywhere else) to the Bengali dosa & sambar. I particularly remember the Bengali sambar being quite scandalous with some of our South-Indian friends who couldn't quite digest the absolute sweetness of it(to make it palatable for Bongs with a sweet tooth) and also the extra assortment of vegetables added to it which included cauliflower, cabbage & peas much to their horror and our amusement. But apart from such quaint dishes the city does promise some mouth-watering experiences which Im eagerly looking forward too and probably for the first time I have actually planned a trip around food along with accessibility to eating joints.
Im looking forward to passing through the areas where I lived and frequented to see if modernity has taken its toll on Calcutta or has it remained the same old quintessentially Calcutta. There is more to be written and will be done so after I get back.
2 comments:
Dear Subhra-di,
I can well understand the ecstacy you are feeling about your trip to Kolkata. Like you, I've also been tagged as a "probashi" for about most part of my life (though I've loved Bangla always and have always dreamt of studying here). I've been living at Jadavpur since past two and half months and so I know what you mean.
Thing is: it's not one single thing about the city, like if I'd say the gaan and kobita that literally lives here, or for that matter as you said the "khanti Bangali" food. It's something else. Kolkata is a living being. It (or may be "she") has a heart, a pounding heart which heaves. Better put as "Kolkata ekta aadorer jaayga".
Anyway, keep writing and hope our "aadorer Kolkata" lives long and as vibrant as ever.
Thank you Sayantani for your comments.
Post a Comment