
The pre-farewell prayer service yesterday brought back memories from that sultry day in June 3 years ago when I stepped into the college campus, looked up at the imposing building and wondered when the stipulated 3 years would be up and I would be on my way out to experience the world on my own terms. Little did I know that it was in this very place I would have the most valuable lessons taught about life. Now, 3 years later I emerge from college as a much wiser person, thanking my surroundings and all that came with it for the lessons I learnt from them.
Lessons aside, I have made great friends, who have managed to chip the wall which the cynic inside me had build up as a shield against the world and shown me that certainly all hope is not lost for humanity. Looking around the building for one of the final times I realised that every nook and corner held a special memory. They held memories of the times we laughed at some silly joke, passed a comment or simply laughed because we wanted to. They held memories of confiding in each other, of trust being broken, of forging new friendships and most of all finding out what we really wanted from life.
In a week's time I bid adieu to the building which has given me a sense of belonging and peace in its antiquity and also my class consisting of people I have now come to appreciate after 3 long years. Contrary to what I thought there is an element of sadness in my heart to leave behind a sanctuary of 3 years, to leave those nooks and corners which I often haunted when I just wanted to withdraw myself from the world and wanted time for myself. There is feeling of nostalgia when I look around myself and absorb the way these 3 years have made me evolve into a person that I am.
Gone are times when we stood in the Chemistry lab trying to figure out what went wrong with the experiment, staring in absolute shock at the remnants of the bombed test tube in hand and the giggling faces around. Sorely missed are those times in the Physics lab when we combined readings and experiments, to get the records certified as our only aim. Remembered are those times when we imitated the lecturers under their nose, got caught yet behaved with impunity. It was obvious that at that moment we were scolded, but now as the last day draws closer, those days are remembered in the true colours of their humour by both students and lecturers. We face the last class in each subject with excitement of never having the to bear the torture of sitting through the examination of each paper; but at the same time there is also an inkling of sadness as the comfort of returning to those classes after exams is not there nor will there be anymore exchange of notes, mischievous glances, sarcastic retorts and the eternal scoldings. Nostalgia sets in when we remember the times we spent hanging out of the buses due to the crowd and still laughed at how we all had managed to adapt to our ever changing environment in college.
Even though 3 years have passed by it still feels like it was just yesterday I had walked into college for the first time, looked at my classmates and thought that the 3 years would feel like eternity. But doesn't it always feel like that when you are going through it? Only after the time has gone by do you wonder at the lightening speed of time.
I can never put down in words describing the time I spent in college, cause they are as diverse as they could be. But this is cheering college life for giving me what I needed in a mixture of the good, bad and the ugly!!!
Lessons aside, I have made great friends, who have managed to chip the wall which the cynic inside me had build up as a shield against the world and shown me that certainly all hope is not lost for humanity. Looking around the building for one of the final times I realised that every nook and corner held a special memory. They held memories of the times we laughed at some silly joke, passed a comment or simply laughed because we wanted to. They held memories of confiding in each other, of trust being broken, of forging new friendships and most of all finding out what we really wanted from life.
In a week's time I bid adieu to the building which has given me a sense of belonging and peace in its antiquity and also my class consisting of people I have now come to appreciate after 3 long years. Contrary to what I thought there is an element of sadness in my heart to leave behind a sanctuary of 3 years, to leave those nooks and corners which I often haunted when I just wanted to withdraw myself from the world and wanted time for myself. There is feeling of nostalgia when I look around myself and absorb the way these 3 years have made me evolve into a person that I am.
Gone are times when we stood in the Chemistry lab trying to figure out what went wrong with the experiment, staring in absolute shock at the remnants of the bombed test tube in hand and the giggling faces around. Sorely missed are those times in the Physics lab when we combined readings and experiments, to get the records certified as our only aim. Remembered are those times when we imitated the lecturers under their nose, got caught yet behaved with impunity. It was obvious that at that moment we were scolded, but now as the last day draws closer, those days are remembered in the true colours of their humour by both students and lecturers. We face the last class in each subject with excitement of never having the to bear the torture of sitting through the examination of each paper; but at the same time there is also an inkling of sadness as the comfort of returning to those classes after exams is not there nor will there be anymore exchange of notes, mischievous glances, sarcastic retorts and the eternal scoldings. Nostalgia sets in when we remember the times we spent hanging out of the buses due to the crowd and still laughed at how we all had managed to adapt to our ever changing environment in college.
Even though 3 years have passed by it still feels like it was just yesterday I had walked into college for the first time, looked at my classmates and thought that the 3 years would feel like eternity. But doesn't it always feel like that when you are going through it? Only after the time has gone by do you wonder at the lightening speed of time.
I can never put down in words describing the time I spent in college, cause they are as diverse as they could be. But this is cheering college life for giving me what I needed in a mixture of the good, bad and the ugly!!!
6 comments:
Your post reminded me of my class ten farewell. Really we learn a lot from our institutions.
Wonderful post. all I can say is....
I am going to miss this place,
I am going to miss my college days.
Thanks a lot for leaving your comment. Im certainly going to miss my college days no matter how much I cribbed about them while living through those days.
Hey guys, why don't you comment on this post.There is a lot to learen from these things please don't you folk have this much time to read up and post a comment?
How much time does it take? Hardly 15 minutes. if you are too busy atleast take a break from your work load.
I was surprised at myself yesterday when I went thru my last day at coll with a heavy heart coz I was leaving that sanctuary of 3 yrs. But on a brighter note, yes, I have a lot to look forward to but at the sametime thank my college for giving me that future. At the end of it, I cribbed, complained but more than anything enjoyed those 3 yrs.
Post a Comment