The ever increasing eve-teasing has been creating a furore over the last few months in our country. But what has actually been done about it? There still aren't any stringent laws against eve-teasing, cause as the patriarchal society which exists, the common notion is that the victim would have invited the unwanted attention. After all Eve is considered a seductress hence the name: eve-teasing. From childhood as girls we have been taught to ignore the lewd comments and glances to avoid unpleasant scenarios, but in a way isn't it encouraging the perpetators? I have also faced eve-teasing and nowadays it has become such a regular phenomenon that reacting is basic instinct to an event which has integrated itself in our everyday life. How long can you tolerate strangers brushing past you or some pervert minded fellow stripping you naked with his glances?
The weirdest part of the whole situation is that the maximum number of eve-teasing cases are reported in India where ironically we worship 'Shakti' which represents the active, dynamic principles of feminine power. The Shakti goddess is also known as Amma (meaning 'mother') in south India, especially in the states of Tamil Nadu,Kerala and Andhra Pradesh. There are many temples devoted to various incarnations of the Shakti goddess in most of the villages in South India. The rural people believe that Shakti is the protector of the village, the punisher of evil people, the curer of diseases, and the one who gives welfare to the village. They celebrate Shakti Jataras with a lot of hue and great interest once a year. Some examples of incarnations are Gangamma, Aarti, Kamakshamma, Kanakadurga, Mahalakshmammma, Meeenakshamma, Poleramma and Perantalamma.
Sardonically it is in this very country that we women are targetted at every nook and corner to be abused, harrassed and molested. There probably won't be a single woman who hasn't been leered at, gestured at or pinched. The glances that we get is enough to cause a psychological rape and you wouldn't want to know what is going on in the perpetator's head.
Sadly this is a prank or a time-pass for many. I was shocked to see its existence on Facebook when I typed in 'eve-teasing' to search for any communities against it, but was taken by surprise when I saw that the search threw up users whose interests were eve-teasing. Is this what our world is coming to? I try not to judge it as a scenario where the morals are diminishing cause I know that among the men-folk there are ones who raise their voice against this heinous crime but sadly they are only a handful.
Being at the receiving end I can only hope for a stringent law to be put in place, even if doesn't help atleast the fear of being reported should exist.
3 comments:
Read your comment on my (though now, I should say 'our') blog, and well, I have to say that I find this particular thing named eve-teasing very annoying and disturbing.
You are probably right about one thing: that most girls avoid an altercation with eve-teasers does somehow convince the bloated male-ego (and yeah, most males do have very big egos: inspite of being one, I have never had any problem in criticising the excesses and stereotypical defects both sexes have) that a) either most girls subconsciously enjoy being teased and called names b) no one is going to harm them if they tease girls. The first step, I think, that needs to be taken is direct altercation. If not alone, with some people whom you trust. Never leave those eve-teasers with the firm conviction that they can get away with absolutely everything: they should know that if needed, strong action may be taken against them. Contacting the police may be an option, but I am gradually losing faith in that: see, even this year that have been reports on multiple occasions about police-officers teasing women! Leave behind 'Shakti'; even if one is an atheist, does he not have a mother or a sister? How would it seem to these morons if some guy doled out the same treatment to them (the mothers and sisters)?
By the way, expecting a law against eve-teasing to be passed in India is somewhat ironical-- considering that many minister-putra-s are themselves proud eve-teasers! And then, there is this strange aversion to public discussions on anything remotely related to sex in India: would you believe that not one minister in the Madhya Pradesh legislative assembly uttered the word 'sex' when a bill regarding sex-education and AIDS was being discussed? Some ministers, and teachers too, have reportedly opposed sex-education because the subject apparently is obscene, and rather than discouraging a "scourge" like sex (I bat an eyelid and ask them, "did you drop from heaven, mister?"), positively encourages it through the open discussion and demonstration of the matter! While it is utterly laughable on one level, I find a lot to be extremely disappointed about this... 'Cause as far as I know, frank and yet non-titillating discussions on sex can only encourage people to have a more healthy mind, and see sex as an integral part of life. And yes, I do think that sex-education may cause a decrease sex-crime rates. Very much, indeed: many teenagers, or young 'adults', commit these crimes due to simple curiosity and a flow of uncontrolled libido.
There's one thing I find absolutely disgusting about eve-teasing: blaming the matter on the victims for "lewd clothing". Firstly, I do happen to know that a majority of the victims are quite modestly dressed: unless one happens to live in the stone age, t-shirt and a pair of jeans is quite a modest outfit! Secondly, those who have perverted minds will do what they do inspite of everything: modest or immodest clothing. Making the victim an easy scapegoat is the most annoyingly silly way to justify (as if that can be done anyway!) eve-teasing. On the contrary, isn't it contradictory (if we have to follow the MCP's justification) that places like Scandinavia, where most women are in skipmy clothes and public nudsim is allowed, have the lowest rates of sex-crimes!
Oh sorry, I made this comment quite long without pausing to think much about brevity. Hope you'll forgive me for that! :)
With regards,
Sudipto.
Sorry for the small mistakes in my previous post: I somehow seemed to overlook them! :)
Thanks for taking the time to comment, it feels nice to get feedback on what I've written. Don't worry about the length of your comments,they are welcome in any size. Typos are made by everyone so worry not, there will come a time when Google launches spell check on comments also, and I wait for that day.
Post a Comment