Friday, October 05, 2007

Yahoo Messenger

Was nosing around the internet all morning trying to find out how did people get to know I was online even though I had signed in as invisible. Not only do I consider this as a breach of privacy specially concerning the ones Im trying to ignore but it also turns out to be a sham contract between Yahoo and its user. While signing up I have oft but noticed that noone waits a even a minute to go through the terms of contract but yes, the features of the new messenger do promise stealth settings. Moderately tech-savvy as I am, it took me a while to find out the cause and to my surprise the search engine threw up nearly 680,000 sites with a number of ways to detect not only invisible contacts but also ones who have chosen to remain permanently offline!!! Apart from this I even noticed that I could hack into someone else's account and decode all their conversations, not that I didnt know of this but what shocked me the most is the fact that such information was blatantly being displayed on the net and as the usual perception goes, that it might not work, it actually worked! So much for cheap conversations with loved ones living away. In a virtual world where nothing is private I wondered if my phone conversations where esoteric but to my horror I saw that even that was not so. Not only could I send sms from the net but could also create havoc by sending it from someone else's number without that person even realising it.
But as the attitude about such things go:
Case in point: how to see if someone is set to invisible mode in Yahoo! Messenger.
Why: Because we can.
Why Not: Because it helps to take a hint.

4 comments:

Sudipto Basu said...

Must be that you are quite aware of this, but actually, all our conversations (on all types of communication media) are actually always monitored by the Big Brothers (and possibly, a huge number of hackers too!). A lot of military activity and war-against-terrorism is done just be checking communication channels, and decoding suspicious information. So in that case, all my mails to a loved one are actually being scrutinised! I have long decided not to be perturbed by this fact: after all, the guys sitting at NSA (or even the hackers) are least worried about what I have said to my friend!

Subhra Das said...

Yes, this is something which I have learnt to accept. I do not object against scrutinising of my messages for fighting terrorism, but what I object against is the intrusion of my privacy by various methods to detect when Im online and invisible in order to avoid someone. But considering the fact that modern technology has not left anything esoteric, this is the latest thing which I have accepted and found my own ways of defending my privacy. :)

Sriranjani Datta said...

Dear Subhra,
I would like to convey something to you. Some one year back I had an orkut account. I used my photograph as my profile picture. Some two months later a fake account was created using my name and my picture. The profile details were filled up with abbusive stuff.

thanks to the hacking tips on the net that I could hack the fake account and delete that account. So you see everything has its positive and negetive side:)
so just take a chill pill and look at the positive side.

regards,
sriranjani

Subhra Das said...

Every coin has two sides to it, just that I was highlighting the side which affected me the most. Though no doubt that side might help me one day. Who knows!!! Just go by the saying, 'test everything but stick to the good'.